For the past two weeks we’ve explored the idea of trust and how to build that trust with clients, potential clients and colleagues. So once it’s there what comes next? You guessed it: referrals. But getting referrals isn’t as easy as doing a good job. You have to let people know that you want them… and what type of referrals you want. Here are five tips for getting started:
1. Don’t be shy. The only way to get more work is to ask for it.
2. Understand what you want. People can easily send you work if they have a clear idea of what kind of work you’re looking for.
3. Focus on the right people. If you have a referral source who has sent you 1 case and another who has sent you 20, it becomes clear where to place more of your efforts.
4. Make use of family and friends. They know you best and won’t be afraid to throw your name out.
5. Have a plan. Know how you’re going to follow up with a referral source and create a system for everything from initial contact to a follow-up and thank you gift.